Octopus Channel Intro
When POS items are uploaded into the Channel, they show up under the “Product Management” tab. This is where a user can further modify the products before they are pushed to an E-commerce platform.
The topmost item or the first item displayed in this page is the last item uploaded from the POS. Example shown below: The item with Product SKU number “210000003414” is the last item uploaded from the POS.
- Advance search: To use Advance Search, click on the round symbol with the plus sign on the right side of the screen.
- eCommerce Platform: To select an eCommerce platform, click on the checkbox before the name. You may select multiple platforms. This checkbox sends products to the selected platform. Please note you will see only the platforms for which you have subscribed.
- Select All Pages: Checking this box Selects ALL items on all pages that are under ‘My Products’.
- Items per Page: Clicking this will create a drop-down box where you can select how many product items to be displayed per page.
- Clicking on this checkbox will select all the items shown on the current page.
- Product SKU: Clicking on the product SKU or Item Name will allow you to edit product information.
- Delete: To delete one item from the channel, select the checkbox and click on the ‘trash bin’ icon located on the right side of the screen.
- Archive: To Archive items, click on this symbol located below the delete icon.
- Pages: This allows you to scroll to the next page.
You can search for a specific item by Item SKU and Parent SKU. You can also use various filters, such as, Brand, Category, Date, etc., to narrow down your search.
If an item does not show after a search, it means that the item is not yet uploaded from the POS. Please make sure the item has been properly ‘web enabled’ at the POS level. You may also try uploading the item manually.
Clicking on Product SKU or Item Name will bring you to ‘Edit Product’ page. This is where you can edit product information to make them more eCommerce friendly. All the changes applied here will be sent to your eCommerce website.
Image 3.1 below shows all the product details you can edit.
1. If your item name is not eCommerce friendly, you can edit that here. Type in the new item name as you would like it to show on the website. Please make sure to click on the box ‘Prevent Over-writing Product Name’. Product name cannot be modified until this box is unchecked.
2. Normally a Parent SKU comes from the POS. In certain instances, you may want to convert Standard Items to Matrix Items without touching them in the POS. This is where you can convert a group of Standard Items by creating a unique Parent SKU and assigning it to multiple items. Please note you must create a unique parent SKU for each group.
Again, please make sure to click on Prevent Overwriting before proceeding forward.
3. If you want to overwrite POS Product Long Description, please type it here. Please make sure to check box to prevent POS description from over-writing.
4. If you are creating a matrix item using Step 2, please make sure to input Style Name (Color) and Style Value (Red). Also, select ‘isMatrix Item’ as Yes.
5. You can upload up to five images per item in the channel. Make sure to reload page after uploading image/s.
Publishing Items to eCommerce
After you have updated an item under ‘Edit Item’ page, you can go ahead and publish this item to a specific Shopping cart or Marketplace. Under Product Management tab.
1. First you need to select which item/s you want to publish. The example below shows we are selecting three items.
2. Next, select which Shopping cart or Marketplace you want to publish the item. In the example below we are selecting Shopify as our shopping cart.
3. Then click on the ‘Plus’ icon on the right to publish. Once you are done, items can now be viewed under the SCM (Shopping Cart Module).
Note: Only Shopping carts and Marketplaces that you signed up for, will be shown in My Products page.
If you do have a point of sale system or want to quickly edit items by Exporting / Importing multiple items, Import Products is a great option.
1. Click Add New Template to start .
2. Click History to to select a file to upload on Channel.
3. Click Import New once a template was created.
4. Notify- you can type in your email to get notifications if modification are being made in the file. Modify- click to update files. Delete- delete existing files from the list.
Add New Template:
You can view the past import activities in the channel by clicking on Import History.
1. File Type: Clicking this will create a drop-down box where you can select the File Type.
2. Type in the name of the file you wish to create.
3. Column Delimeter and Text Qualifier: Use only if file type is a text file.
4. Save file after choosing the file type and the file name.
POS Code Mapping
You can use POS code mapping if you want to map POS value to Channel value. POS value are commonly in a form of a code. For example blk. You need to set blk into black which is more understandable for users viewing the website. You can also map multiple values at the same time using a spreadsheet format.
1. POS Code Upload Format: You can view the excel format by clicking.
2. Choose File: select spreadsheet file to upload.
3. Click on upload after selecting file.
4. Select Field Name.
5. Replace All Value: Click to replace value after selecting Field Name.
6. Item per Page: Clicking this will create a drop-down box where you can select how many product items to be displayed per page.
7. Search: You can search specific value using the search bar.
8. Channel Value: Edit Channel value here.
Order management tab is where you can view all the order details downloaded from your eCommerce platform.
Order search: If you’re looking for a specific order, use any of the criteria define below to find it.
- Source of Orders: Select Marketplace/Shopping cart
- Order Status: Paid, Shipped, Decline
- User Name, Email: Customer’s username or email address
- Order No: Specific order number of Marketplace/Shopping cart
- Search orders from a specific date period
Order Date: The date and time when the order was downloaded
Channel Mgr Order #: Each order, when downloaded into Octopus, is given an Octopus order number. This number is also pushed to the point of sale system for reference.
Marketplace Order #: This is the order number received from your website or marketplace. The number is prefixed by the platform abbreviation for easy reference. This number is also downloaded into the point of sale system.
Customer Bill To and Customer Ship To: Details are received from the website.
Total: The total amount of the order.
Status: Depending on where the order is coming from, it would be either in Pending/Processing or Paid status. Orders coming from marketplaces are marked Paid as they are already paid for. Orders coming from websites built on Magneto/Woo/etc might be marked as Processing depending on how the website is setup.
Tracking: This feature is only applicable for Offline POSs, such as RetailPro, RMS etc. Octopus Plugin updates the Tracking Number on our system generated by the Shipping company of the Merchant. It also works for the merchants, who uses Ship Station and Ship Work integration with Octopus.
Action: When orders are downloaded from website into Octopus, all items must match with items uploaded from the POS. For example, if an ordered item has a different SKU than what was uploaded from POS, the order will NOT be downloaded. In such cases, Edit link will show. This allows you to Edit the order and fix the SKU number so that it matches with one of the existing items. After the SKU has been fixed, the order would download during the next sync cycle. Orders not showing Edit indicates that the orders have been downloaded into POS and cannot be edited.
View all the Channel activities and errors in the ‘Logs’ tab.
1. You can search logs on a specific date period or search using a keyword in the search tab at the top.
2. You can export logs to a CSV in your local drive.
3. You can view Log details by clicking on the ‘view’ button on the right-hand side of the screen.
Log Details is where you can view the log activities or the error details in the channel.
About Windward System5 Integration
Windward System Five offers independent retailers powerful point of sale features and controls not normally found in comparable systems. The multi-functional point of sale transaction screen can be used in both touches and click format. Either application makes an exceptional visual statement to your customers about the level of professionalism of your store.
Windward Software combines style and substance in the sales process. Not only is the system easy to learn and use, but it also performs a multitude of functions and controls for the smooth running of your business.
Windward has created a number of integrated software solutions for businesses in particular fields that are designed to complement our powerful Windward System Five platform.
Many businesses using Windward have well-established business management software in place. Rather than having to reinvent the wheel and undo all of that work, sometimes software integration is the best option. This approach allows our customers’ systems to work in harmony with Windward System Five, with minimal disruption. Octopus helps achieve this goal. It allows a merchant to connect their existing system to online platforms.
The setting tabs is where you can enter the System 5 API details to connect Octopus to System 5. Make sure to secure your System 5 API details first before starting the integration. You can select the sync status to enable or disable if you want to automatically update items from Octopus to your E-Commerce website.
Note: System5 API credentials are given by Windward.
This is where we can define various product settings. These settings include Style, Schedule, Price Mapping, Import Products, and etc.
Setup the Style Names depending on the type of products you are selling. Style Name examples are Size, Color, etc.
Setup Scheduler Time to automatically pull product data from System5. Scheduler time is set by time intervals. It also shows when the next update will happen and as well when the last updated took place.
As there are many different price levels defined in the POS, here you can decide which price levels you want to pull for the purpose of the website. These price levels will be mapped with e-commerce platforms.
Invoice Setting Panel
You can set up the Invoice Type by clicking the drop-down menu. Select between Work Order or Cash. The Invoice Sub-Type selected are shown in System 5. Department For Invoice is selected only if you are using a departmentalized system in the POS. You can consult Windward Support for more information.
Tender Type –Select the tender type by clicking the dropdown box. Choose between the examples – MasterCard, Shopify, Visa, Amex, Cash, etc.
You have the option to pull ‘eCommerce ready only’ items from POS or All. If All items are pulled, you can use Octopus to decide which items are to be sent to your website.
Inventory Department is selected only if you are using departmentalize system in the POS. You can consult Windward Support for more information. You can also import the Brand by selecting Supplier or Brand from System5.
SKU As: Each item must have an SKU on the website. You can decide which POS field to use as a website SKU.
Field Lock Setting Panel
After the initial product pull, you can define which attributes of an item should NOT be pulled from the POS again.
This feature is useful if you are using Octopus to manage your items. Please see the image below:
System 5 POS Panel
To access the System 5 POS panel, first, you need to hover your mouse to POS in the main menu > then click System 5.
Full Inv Update: Click this button to pull full inventory from the POS System. This button is used for the first time set up.
Delta Inv Update: To manually update/add items from System 5 click on this button. Octopus can also be set up to pull updates automatically.
Push Orders: To manually push orders from Octopus to System5 click this button. Octopus can also be set up to push orders automatically.
Important: Please take a back-up of your web store (all files and database) before starting the integration. This is just a precautionary step to undo any unwanted situation.
WooCommerce API Requirements
Woo Commerce API version must be v2.0 or higher.
To check version, use the following URL
DomainName.com is the URL where Woo Commerce website is being hosted.
Make sure to do the following before setting up integration:
- Word Press Administrator has created a Read/Write account for Octopus Channel. This allows Octopus to generate the necessary API key.
- Merchant needs to prepare a category structure in Woo Commerce. The category structure in Woo Commerce will be mapped with POS category structure.
Generating Woo Commerce API key
Prior to initiating this process, ensure that WordPress admin has setup an Octopus account to obtain API details. Follow the steps below:
First, login to ‘WordPress Admin section’.
The link format would be: http://DomainName.com/wp-admin
Once logged in: click on 1. ‘WooCommerce’ tab > 2. Click on Settings > 3. Click on API > 4. Under ‘Keys/Apps’ click on ‘Add Key’
Once you clicked on add key, go to Key/Apps tab.
- Type in the description ‘Octopus
- Type in the name of the user.
- Choose Read/Write under Permissions.
- Then click Generate API Key button
Note: Make sure to Copy/Paste the key in notepad. Once Saved, this information cannot be viewed again.
Connect Octopus with WooCommerce
Please login at: http://gui.octopusbridge.com
Login using your account details:
- User Name
Once you’ve logged in, go to:
Shopping Carts > WooCommerce > Settings
Type in the following information:
- Woocommerce Key:
- Woocommerce Secret Key:
- Woocommerce Base URL
Enable Pass-through When setting up configuration for the first time, this option should be set to ‘No’. Setting ‘No’ means that any items uploaded from the POS to Octopus will remain in Octopus. These items will not be pushed to your eCommerce platform unless it is done manually. This is the recommended setting while configuring the system for the first time.
You also may set this to No if you have setup your POS to upload All items into Octopus, but you do not want to send All items, automatically, to your eCommerce platform. Setting this to No gives you the opportunity to make items ‘web ready’ before publishing them to your website.
Once you set it to ‘Yes’, any items uploaded from the POS will automatically be pushed to your eCommerce platform. This is recommended only when the settings have been fully configured and tested.
WooCommerce Products Module
This screen shows items that have been enabled to sync with Woo. When an item has been successfully synced with Woo, it shows its Woo Commerce ID. If an ID is missing, it means the item is not yet synchronizing with Woo.
- All items listed on this page are automatically synched with Woo. To manually publish items to WooCommerce, Select All Pages and Publish.
- You can also use the boxes to select specific item to publish.
- Product SKU: The dot besides the product SKU is an indicator if a product is successfully synchronizing with the website. Green means successfully synching while red means it is not. If red, it may need some time to synch. But if continues to be red, please check Logs
- When an item has been successfully setup to sync with WooCommerce, it shows its WooCommerce ID: If an ID is missing, it means the item is not yet synchronized with WooCommerce.
- Add Product to WooCommerce: This button allows you to add products to WooCommerce Website. Again, this process is automated/scheduled but can be manually forced to run immediately.
- Search tab: This tab allows you search a specific item by entering the product SKU or keyword. It also displays how many items are in a WooCommerce.
- Item per Page: Clicking this will create a drop-down box where you can select how many product items to be displayed per page.
- Product Sync status: Please note while ‘In Process’ is enabled, any new updates will be queued up. While the synch is scheduled, the In Process status will come and go. Every time there is an update from POS, it will turn on but once done syncing it will show ‘Complete’.
Woo Commerce API has certain limitations with POS integration. One of which is the inability to create POS Department & Category structure in Woo Commerce. In order for the integration to work, make sure to create your Department & Category structure in Woo Commerce first. Once created, you can Download Category structure into the Channel.
To download Woo Commerce Category:
- First you need to click on the Download Category tab
- Then click on the ‘Download’ button
- Once you download categories it will show how many categories that are downloaded successfully.
Note: Always download categories to update Octopus every time you create/update a category in WooCommerce.
When items are uploaded from the POS into Octopus, they are uploaded with POS Department & Category structure. At the Octopus level, they are called Source Categories.
POS Category structure may or may not be same as WooCommerce category structure.
This option allows to ‘map’ POS category structure to WooCommerce Categories so that POS items are placed in the right category when loaded into WooCommerce platform.
- The left-hand side shows the POS category structure.
- Department & Categories downloaded from WooCommerce are shown on the right-hand side with a drop-down menu.
- The drop-down menu shows mapped and unmapped categories. To map additional categories, click unmapped categories from the drop-down menu.
Note: If it does not show your WooCommerce categories, you need to download categories first to update this.
Merchants using various POS systems may use any of the fields within a POS while creating items. Map Fields option allows a merchant to map WooCommerce product fields with their own POS product fields.
For example, Woo website Product Name (Title) can be mapped with any of the POS data fields provided in the drop-down menu.
This also provides an option NOT to send certain POS data to Woo Commerce website.
Some fields, such as, SKU and Quantity are mandatory and are automatically updated in the website.
Under Custom Rules, Merchant can set various rules before publishing the product data into online store.
Under Custom Rules, Merchant can set various rules before publishing the product data into online store.
- Custom Title: Combine multiple fields together and create a SEO friendly product Name.
- Stock Rule: The quantity inserted in the box will be reduced from the Product Management stock. For example: In Product Management, if total quantity of an item is 50 and you inserted 10 in the ‘Enter Value’ field; in Shopify, the quantity of the item will be shown as 40. This quantity (40) is also used as the Out of Stock value.
- Out of Stock Rule 1: Select this checkbox if you want to delete products from Online Store when stock reaches ‘Zero’.
- Product Status: Check this box if you want to post your product into Woo Commerce as ‘Draft’. This allows you to edit product attributes before making them public.
- Out of Stock Rule 2: instead of deleting items when an item is out of stock, this option hides the item from public view. When item becomes available, it is automatically shown on the front end of the website. Selecting this rule will over write Product Status rule.
- Order Inclusive Tax: If product prices are inclusive of taxes, select this option.
- Oder Tax After Discount: Select this option if tax is calculated after applying discounts
- Products’ Sale’s Date: Some POS systems allow products to be put On Sale between a From and To Date. This option transfers the From and To dates to Woo Commerce website.
- Product Weight: Enables sending product weight to Woo Commerce
You can setup additional attributes in WooCommerce using Custom Attributes. Please note these attributes are invisible from Octopus, therefore cannot be edited. Attributes can be edited in POS level only.
1. Attribute Label: attributes displayed on WooCommerce
2. Attribute Value: attributes mapped from the POS
3. Delete: click to delete.